The Newbridge Treatment Model
At Schoen Clinic Newbridge, we are wholly focused on eating disorders in young people and harness the multiple interventions required to address all the elements of the illness.
The Newbridge Treatment Model describes the multiple interventions and treatments we provide in our inpatient programme and now we offer a private short-stay option to help families access a fast route into our specialist care.
Start your treatment journey today. Schoen Clinic Newbridge welcomes NHS and privately funded patients for highly specialised eating disorder treatment (please note that our short-stay service is only available to private patients). Call our caring team direct on +44 20 4579 3009 or contact us today.
Download our e-brochures today to find out more about the highly specialised treatments and services available at our award-winning, CQC 'Outstanding' rated, internationally renowned hospital for children and young people.
It is best if you visit your GP and ask for a referral to our service. This is because your GP has a record of your health, including issues which may be relevant to your eating disorder and it is best if they are fully involved. However, it is also possible for you to make a self-referral (contact us and make an appointment directly).
There are several different treatment options available.
As a form of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), CBT-E is a treatment approach focussing on the connections between your thoughts, feelings and behaviour. It is a practical, logical, problem-solving approach and you observe and record your thoughts, feelings and behaviour and try carefully structured experiments.
We offer both inpatient treatment and a specialised daycare service for children and young people in Birmingham with eating disorders.
The recommended treatment is 20 weeks for patients with bulimia. There may be an individual variation of course, particularly for patients with OFSED (other specified feeding and eating disorders) and after your initial assessment, we will be best placed to advise you on likely duration.
For more information about specific treatment durations and recommended length of stay for your individual needs, it's best to speak to a member of our specialist team.
There is very strong evidence for the use of CBT for people with bulimia. CBT-E for bulimia was first recommended by NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) in 2004. It is a widely used and well-established treatment and there is now a large body of evidence from research to support its effectiveness.
This service is also designed for people with OSFED if they are medically stable. We will carry out a full assessment and if we believe this is not the right service for you, we will advise you on the best pathway for you.
Our private daycare service for 8-18 year olds with eating disorders
A comprehensive review of your psychological condition will be carried out, including understanding the nature of the problems you are experiencing and what would be an appropriate treatment for you. Your assessment will be conducted by one of our specialists such as a nurse, a therapist or one of our Consultant Psychiatrists.
To be seen as a daycare patient, it is important you are medically stable and our Consultant Psychiatrist will assess this.
During treatment, patients with medical concerns will have access to the Schoen Clinic Newbridge Consultant Psychiatrist and dietetic team.
Following initial assessment, a treatment plan is devised which will establish what treatment an individual will receive.
The programme is delivered by Schoen Clinic Newbridge: one of a very small number of services to achieve an ‘Outstanding’ rating from the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Established in 2008, Schoen Clinic Newbridge is a major centre for the treatment of eating disorders, receiving referrals from throughout the UK and overseas.
You have the assurance that our service is delivered and managed by Schoen Clinic Newbridge specialists who are nationally recognised experts within their field. Appointments are in a unique hospital, located in a pleasant suburban area of Sutton Coldfield, to the north of Birmingham.
Please contact us to book an appointment or to find out more about this service and whether it may be suitable for you or your child.
Start your treatment journey today. Schoen Clinic Newbridge welcomes privately funded patients for highly specialised ourpatient eating disorder treatment. Call our caring team direct on +44 20 4579 3009 or contact us today.
The Schoen Clinic Newbridge treatment pathway
The Schoen Clinic Newbridge Newbridge treatment pathway shows how an individual progresses from admission to discharge.
Time spent in each stage and overall inpatient treatment time will vary for individuals, depending upon their eating disorder and needs.
But for everyone, the pathway shows the behavioural, emotional and life changes that are made to move through each stage of treatment and on to the process of recovery.
1. Recognising and accepting that you have an eating disorder
- There will be psychological assessments
- You will be encouraged to start thinking about your personal goals
- You will be supported in the dining room to overcome some of your eating behaviours
- You will have the opportunity to discuss your worries with specific members of staff
- You will be introduced to your key nurse, co-worker and the therapy team.
2. Making links, changes and sense of the causes of your eating disorder
- This stage begins when you have shown that you can, with support, tolerate the behavioural changes introduced in stage 1.
- You will be able to take more responsibility for managing your choices and behaviours around food
- With support from staff, you will start choosing meals, meal planning and preparation
- You will start to take part in leisure activities
- You will go shopping for clothes with staff and eating snacks in the community
- You will reach and maintain your weight within an agreed range.
3. Consolidation and maintenance of progress made and preparing to leave Newbridge
- You will engage in body image work and relapse prevention
- You will go food shopping with staff and be supported to develop other independent living skills appropriate for your age
- You will be supported to eat out with your family
- You will spend increasing time at home, less time at Newbridge
- Return to school/college or work, often initially on a part-time basis.
4. Leaving Schoen Clinic Newbridge and returning home
- You will participate in outpatient services as agreed before discharge
- You will take part in leisure activities of your choice
- You will plan for the future and return to study or work
Recovery is not a destination, but an ongoing process
We're here to help you through the process. If you need specialised eating disorder treatment for yourself or a child, we have a specialist multidisciplinary team on hand to help get you where you need to be. Make the decision to recover.
Start your treatment journey today. Schoen Clinic Newbridge welcomes NHS and privately funded patients for highly specialised eating disorder treatment. Call our caring team direct on +44 20 4579 3009 or contact us today.