A personalised plan care based on your individual needs
We provide a very comprehensive and holistic range of interventions and support. This means we are able to find the mechanisms for recovery, which will be different for each patient. Everyone will have a highly personalised treatment programme.
Like any other eating disorder, OSFED can start in childhood and adulthood.
Depending on the severity of your symptoms and the context of any additional mental health, wellbeing, or physical health needs; we will co-design your care and support. Treatment may be provided in outpatient, day patient and inpatient settings and we will recommend the best approach for you following our assessments together.
Our treatments for OSFED
- Inpatient care
It is uncommon for people with OSFED to require a hospital admission although may be necessary if you have poor physical health due to your experience of bulimia. Treatment may include:
- Physical health stabilisation – your good physical health is important for your mental health to improve and our medical and nursing team will help you monitor this. They will also offer psychoeducation around the impact of your OSFED on your physical health.
- Psychological therapies – we offer range of group and individual therapies that help you connect with yourself and others, improve your self-awareness around the triggers and stressors that maintain your eating patterns and help you make positive changes in your life.
- Medication management – if you have attributable mood and or anxiety symptoms we will prescribe and check your medication to support your recovery.
- Healthy eating support – supervised meals for those that require this, following assessment and planning with a dietician.
- Family work – opportunity to work with you and your family in a safe place. This can often help you develop stronger and more positive relationships with your family and they with you.
Outpatient care can support you well if your physical health is not compromised and you are managing to continue to manage day to day tasks and activities such as work, learning, etc.
- Medical support for prescribed medications.
- 1:1 Therapy sessions - you will be referred to an individual therapist to work on a 1:1 basis for a time limited programme.
Our day programme is a stepped increase from an outpatient clinic for those people who maybe feel that they are becoming unwell enough to require hospital or that they want to have a focus on themselves to reduce their OSFED symptoms. At Schoen Clinic Chelsea we offer an intensive and supportive environment in our small sized groups to help you on your recovery journey and seek to prevent an admission to hospital.
Our eating disorder specialists work in multidisciplinary teams that provide an extensive and holistic perspective of each unique person they consider for treatment. Once they have developed care plans with you, they work in partnership with you to support you throughout.
The programme is reviewed every week by the multidisciplinary team, encompassing the different professionals involved in their care. The team consist of: consultant psychiatrists, psychotherapists/psychologists, family therapists, occupational therapists, dieticians, nurses and experienced assistants. They are at the centre of our approach, ensuring all the progress made across the programme is understood, built upon and applied. Our model provides consistency and continuity. We provide the following therapies and interventions. These may be delivered on a 1:1 or group basis by members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Psychological therapies – both psychotherapy and cognitive behavioural approaches.
- Mindfulness and relaxation to help you better manage stress and triggers.
- Eating support – supervised meals and after meals to provide you with support to eat at regular times and reduce risk of physical health problems.