Mr Apthorp has been appointed Head of Department, Hip Surgery at Schoen Clinic London overseeing our hip team to provide the latest care in treating disorders of the hip joint.
Mr Apthorp is one of the UK's leading hip surgeons. He gained his orthopaedic training on the Guy’s and St Thomas’ scheme having qualified at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in 1987. His fellowship was in complex primary and revision hip surgery with Professor David Wood in Perth, Australia. Since then Mr Apthorp has continued to develop his practice specialising in revision hip surgery, minimally invasive hip replacements and young adults with hip problems.
In 2004, Mr Apthorp pioneered rapid recovery in the UK, setting up the first Rapid Recovery Programme for joint replacements. Department of Health figures have shown that using his Rapid Recovery Programme has allowed patients to enjoy the shortest length of stay for hip replacement in England with extremely low complication rates. Such was the success of Mr Apthorp’s surgery and the Enhanced Recovery Programme that milestones were reached of the UK’s first day case hip replacement and the first patient in the world with bilateral hip replacements to return home the day following surgery. Mr Apthorp received significant funding from the Department of Health to develop similar programmes in other hospitals throughout the UK.
Training and Awards:
- Mr Apthorp has personally carried out the largest number of total hip replacements (over 5,000) on the National Joint Registry and the largest number of minimally invasive total hip replacements in the UK (currently 600 per year).
- Provides second opinions for primary and complex revision surgery.
- Recognised as a leading expert in the treatment of failed metal on metal hip replacements and hip resurfacing.
- Trains consultants both nationally and internationally in minimally invasive hip replacement techniques and rapid recovery.
- Undertakes regular research projects and audits to ensure best practice, optimal results and patient satisfaction.
- Involved with the design and development of new joint replacement implants that have been introduced around the world.
- Lectures internationally on hip surgery.