Mr Rajaratnam is a leading Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in all aspects of knee surgery.
He has been appointed Head of Department, Knee Surgery at Schoen Clinic London and oversees a world-class multi-disciplinary team providing the latest care in treating disorders of the knee joint.
Mr Rajaratnam performs amongst the highest number of knee replacement operations on the UK National Joint Registry each year (approximately 500 knee replacements) with excellent outcomes.
He is an expert on the latest rapid recovery techniques following knee surgery. The latest joint replacement techniques he performs include both partial and full surface replacements and innovative techniques in patient specific 3D printed customised alignment methods for the accurate fitting of knee implants.
The following graph depicts the Revision rates for Mr. Sam Rajaratnam’s primary Knee Replacement surgery documented in the National Joint Registry. This shows an extremely low revision/failure rate in 1752 joint replacements performed by him personally over the last 5 years in the UK.
This is a statistically significant positive outlier at the 99.8% confidence interval. (Published October 2019 , NJR) November 2019
Mr Rajaratnam also treats numerous professional and amateur sportsmen with soft tissue knee injuries and performs over 100 ACL reconstructions each year as day case procedures. He is excited about the advances in stem cells and biological solutions for treating appropriate cartilage defects in the knee and is very careful in selecting the appropriate patient for each new technique.
Training and Awards:
- Mr Rajaratnam trained at Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital in London and qualified with a First Class degree in anatomy and an MBBS in 1997.
- Further training via the Royal College of Surgeons, England at numerous centres of excellence in the UK and Australia.
- In 2006 Mr Rajaratnam was awarded the Walter Mercer Gold Medal for the best performance throughout Great Britain and Ireland in the final FRCS orthopaedics examination.
- British Orthopaedic Association Ambassador to Hong Kong in 2007 working in Sydney, Australia, at some of the world’s best knee injury units.
- Appointed as a Consultant Surgeon in the UK in 2008, and now enjoys an excellent national reputation as a leading knee surgeon.
- Mr Rajaratnam lectures internationally on advances in knee surgery and is an advisor to NHS England via the National Orthopaedic Alliance.