Mr Witt was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to University College London Hospitals in 1995. His training Fellowships were in Boston, Sydney and Bern. He worked with Prof Rheinhold Ganz who developed our understanding of young adult hip conditions in particular femoroacetabular impingement and hip dysplasia. He leads the young adult hip unit at UCLH specialising in hip joint preservation surgery and hip replacement which is a tertiary referral centre seeing patients from all over the UK.
Mr Witt has been instrumental in raising the profile of hip conditions affecting young adults by running educational meetings and surgical courses around the country and particularly within the British Hip Society. He has the largest experience of periacetabular osteotomy surgery in the UK and has developed and published on a minimally invasive approach to perform this surgery.
His specialist interest is in relation to hip preservation techniques in particular periacetabular osteotomy (PAO) for hip dysplasia, arthroscopic and open surgery for femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) and Hip Replacement in highly active patients.
Mr Witt has a large experience in total hip replacement including in young adults and children. He was an early adopter of the minimally invasive Direct Anterior Approach for hip replacement which gives advantages for early recovery. His research interests relate to outcome of minimally invasive periacetabular osteotomy, analysis of hip morphology using 3-D CT techniques with reference to FAI and hip dysplasia, long-term outcomes of ceramic hip bearings and minimally invasive total hip replacement using the direct anterior approach.
Mr Witt has compiled a website for patients and healthcare professionals providing detailed information regarding these conditions and procedures at www.hipjointsurgery.co.uk
Training and Awards:
- MBBS 1983 (The Middlesex Hospital, University of London)
- FRCS (Eng) 1987
- FRCSOrth 1991
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society
- Elected member of the International Hip society
- International Society for Hip Arthroscopy and Hip preservation
Publications, Lectures and Teaching
- Published a wide variety of peer-reviewed papers. See under PubMed Witt J D
- Faculty member at national and international meetings on hip surgery
- Reviewer for Bone and Joint Journal, Hip International, Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery (editorial board)
- American British Canadian travelling fellowship awarded in 2000
- Early Intervention in Hip Surgery – convenor of an annual course on hip preservation surgery
- British Hip Society – convenor of an annual meeting demonstrating different techniques in hip preservation surgery