Schoen Clinic Newbridge Birmingham
Lead Occupational Therapist - Eating Disorders (8-18 Years)
* Please note, outpatient appointments are not available with this Specialist. They care for inpatients at Schoen Clinic Newbridge.
Janet Tighe is Lead Occupational Therapist for eating disorders at Schoen Clinic Newbridge in Birmingham.
Janet supports a team of Occupational Therapists (OTs) and Occupational Therapy Assistants (OTAs) to deliver an extensive OT programme of groups and individual work to help young people regain their confidence and build their independence in activities that are meaningful to them. The team aims to provide opportunities to practice age-appropriate activities in a graded and supportive manner. We also support young people to return to school and college, reengage with friends and family and pursue activities they enjoy. We run the following groups to help with this:
- Breakfast Club
- Snack Out (currently ‘in’ due to COVID)
- Lunch Club (including a session of social eating)
- Come Dine with Me (evening meal cookery and social eating)
- Leisure Group
- Creative Art
- Relaxation Skills
- Nourish to Flourish (gardening group)
We also work with parents to help them understand how we work with their children and try to factor in the family norms around eating and socialising. In addition, we support the nursing and healthcare team to facilitate activities during the school holidays.
Janet originally joined Newbridge in May 2010 and prior to that worked as an OT in inpatient CAMHS since qualifying in summer 2008. She has just returned having worked for a year in paediatric OT, in a new role liaising with schools and delivering training to parents. Janet also has experience presenting audits of our food based groups at conferences.
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy (2008)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience (2004)
- ADOS training to contribute to ASC assessments
- Sensory Integration Level 1 Training