Schoen Clinic York
Art Psychotherapist - Eating Disorders (Adults 18+)
Lucy Hargan is a dedicated private Art Psychotherapist, offering specialised support for adults with eating disorders at Schoen Clinic York.
Lucy is a highly qualified and experienced Art Psychotherapist, registered with the Health Care Practitioners Council (HCPC). Furthermore, Lucy has completed a PG Dip in Foundations of psychodynamic psychotherapy. She is also currently mid way through the qualifying course in psychodynamic psychotherapy with the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust.
With a deep passion for the healing power of art, Lucy has worked extensively with adults, young people, and children in both the NHS and private sector.
Art psychotherapy is a well-established form of psychotherapy deeply rooted in psychodynamic theory. It utilises art as the primary mode of expression alongside verbal communication with an art psychotherapist. The primary goals of art psychotherapy are to enhance social, emotional, and mental wellbeing, promoting insight, self-compassion, and a profound sense of agency and self-worth.
Art psychotherapy can be incredibly helpful in eating disorder recovery, facilitating a deeper self-understanding and giving voice to experiences that may defy verbal expression. Often, those grappling with eating disorders confront profound internal conflicts. Art psychotherapy steps in as a bridge to convey these struggles.
How private art psychotherapy at Schoen Clinic York can help:
- In art psychotherapy sessions, Lucy gently guides individuals to use art as a means to express and articulate intricate thoughts and emotions. Art psychotherapy possesses a remarkable ability to delve into the depths of one's inner experiences, posing questions and providing a platform to articulate emotions and ideas that can be challenging to express verbally.
- Beyond expression, art psychotherapy can be a gateway to understanding personal perceptions and beliefs, nurturing self-awareness and personal growth.
- The final artistic creation may not always conform to conventional notions of visual aesthetics but the act of creating art can be profoundly cathartic for individuals grappling with mental health conditions or eating disorders.
- The artwork itself also serves as a powerful communicator, offering invaluable insight so that Lucy can provide tailored support, promoting change and facilitating the path to recovery.
- Art psychotherapy is a versatile approach that can benefit people of all ages and stages of life. It is especially suitable for those whose lives have been impacted by personal or cultural experiences, illness, and disabilities. One of the best things about art psychotherapy is that you don't need to possess any artistic skills to gain value from this form of psychotherapy.
- To ensure that art psychotherapy aligns with your needs and goals, Lucy offers an initial consultation to prospective clients. This collaborative session allows you to explore your therapy expectations and determine if art psychotherapy is the right fit for you.
How much does private art psychotherapy cost?
- Initial assessment (60-90 minutes) - £70
- Art psychotherapy session (50 minutes) - £65
If you're ready to take the first step toward healing and self-discovery through art psychotherapy, please reach out to our team today. Lucy warmly welcomes self-funding patients seeking support with eating disorders in York and is committed to providing a safe and empathetic space for your therapeutic journey.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call our team today on +44 20 4571 9728, or simply fill out our online pre-screening questionnaire any time to suit you to get started with private treatment.